Teaching Paths

museo_percorso3
museo_percorso4
museo_percorso2
museo_percorso1

A part of the museum presents scientific explorations of the shroud from 1898 to present. From the very early times, several scientists have been trying to explore the meaning of the Shroud, and its inprint in order to disclose the underlying mysteries.

Scientific investigations documented in the museum have their climax in the amazing three-dimensional image of the face of the Holy Shroud Man elaborated by Giovanni Tamburelli and his team in 1978. A vast space is dedicated to further studies on forensic investigations of the material, its weaving and micro-marks (pollens, blood, aloe, myrrh, aragonite, …) and on the prints of the coins left on the sheet and their iconographic analysis.

A second section is dedicated to the history (believed as well as recorded) of the Holy Shroud and its worship, starting from the second half of 15th century, when the Sheet became the property of Savoy family. A very important article is the actual wooden box reliquary used for the Shroud’s final journey to Turin in 1578. A further very important relic is the silver box reliquary that has been used to protect the Shroud since late 1500 until April 11th, 1997, the day of the fire in the Guarini chapel in Turin’s Cathedral.

In the photographic section, a full set of official pictures of Shroud is shown. From first pictures taken by Secondo Pia in 1898, to Giuseppe Enrie ones on 1931; the first color picture by Giovanni Battista Judica Cordiglia in 1968; the 1978 STURP scientific picture; the Gian Durante ones, taken in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2010 and the high definition digital pictures by Hal9000 in 2008.

Blinds Path

The Museum also has a path for the sightless, the result of the partership with the Italian Blind Union – Section of Torino. Also available is a panel that provides the Shroud in a coded form. For the first time a blind can indeed feel the same emotions that anyone feels in front of the Shroud.